Background Switcher (Hidden)

WarblerFall Joy

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

It's that time of year when I sit at my drawing table and write with my head turned all the way to the left.

Out the window is my WarblerFall. I have the window open no matter the weather so I can hear the relaxing burble of trickling water. I can also hear the flllltttttpp! of little bird wings as they bathe, and can grab my camera to record the action! 

 Mourning dove family (baby is atop the fountain).

August and September are the prime months for the WarblerFall,  up here on my usually dry ridge. Gobs of birds are passing through, largely unnoticed, until they hear its siren call! 

A female American redstart graces the WarblerFall 20Aug2022

See how I have flat stones covering the entire bottom of the basin? You want water no more than an inch deep for the small birds you're trying to attract. Give them a variety of depths using flat rocks to adjust.

I've found no better way to keep track of what fall warblers, vireos, thrushes, finches, buntings, sparrows, and tanagers are slipping through my sanctuary than the WarblerFall. Its trickle draws them into my yard and down to drink and bathe. That gentle burble is an irresistible come-hither to a wonderful array of birds.

Mourning doves have an adorable habit of holding one wing up when they're bathing.

Sprinkle me there. Right there. 

As a little recap, I spent the last 30 or so years thinking about it, and then spent last summer figuring out how to economically construct the best bird bath possible--where to get the right components and how to put it all together. I made an instructional video and a set of detailed pictorial instructions. Both are available at 

                                                              www.warblerfall.com

If you haven't visited yet, there's a fun 2-minute promotional video that ought to give you a laugh at the very least. Zick as Bobby Flay. But I'm dead serious about the product. Since its official launch in the pages of BWD Magazine's inaugural issue July 1, this little bird bath has blown me and a LOT of others away. People have fun building it. They set it up and get wonderful bird action, often from species they wouldn't expect to see in their yards. Then they share their photos and videos on social media. I have been delighted with what I've seen from all over the country. And it's a gas to see how others interpret my instructions and use the materials at hand.

Cardinals are in the WarblerFall all the time, proving that it's not just for warblers!

Just a note: In the instructional video, I talk about placement of your WarblerFall, and make a point about why placing it on the ground is important. However I would love to do this, I can't, though. That's because I have a pack of murderous eastern chipmunks, who, over the past year, developed the habit of trying to pounce on birds as they bathed. They never caught one, but they got close. After much cussing and thought, I solved the problem by elevating the WarblerFall about 16" on an overturned ceramic planter. The chipmunks don't even try to get up there, and the birds bathe in peace. The elevation doesn't seem to deter anyone but those flat-footed 'munks.

Here's a common yellowthroat enjoying a good soak. 

 I think the most compelling thing about this fountain is the way it draws the completely unexpected. Watching it is kind of like playing the slots. You get these intermittent rewards that keep you watching. And then you hit the jackpot! 

Did my dear friend Laura ever think a yellow-billed cuckoo would come down to her backyard to bathe? No, and neither did I!! I didn't even know they bathed in water! 



That is WarblerFall Magic, right there. Laura told me that she quit feeding birds in summer because she thinks it's better for them not to have supplemental food. But the WarblerFall more than made up for it. She's had an absolute blast with it, as you'll see in subsequent posts. 

I'm posting this to remind you that NOW, August and especially September, is prime WarblerFall time. Birds are migrating. Flying so far and for so long builds up a powerful thirst. They just can't resist
a drink and a cool bath. Welcome them to your yard! Visit


and thank you so much for supporting me by investing in my invention--the little bird fountain that could! 



7 comments:

Really helpfull post

Love this Julie! I have the boring bird bath varieties. One question that might be answered in the video... is yours on a timer or do you run it continually? I'm getting ready to do some new landscaping and would like to incorporate a sweet little fountain like yours.

Hi Julie - you are awesome! We have the plans and just need to know if there is a pump than runs on solar power? The only location for our fountain would require the electric cord to go across part of the patio...not cool :) I had even thought of plugging the pump into a power pack...not too sure about that idea either! Any thoughts and suggestions would be wonderful!
Keep up your wonderful word for Mother Nature.

Marilyn :)

@Marilyn, Unfortunately, there is no solar pump that would perform reliably to create the volume you'll need for this function. I would gently suggest that there are worse things than a putty-colored extension cord (they make them in such nice colors now!) crossing a patio. Mine crosses my patio, 75'worth. The birds are worth it, trust me here.

@Marilyn, Unfortunately, there is no solar pump that would perform reliably to create the volume you'll need for this function. I would gently suggest that there are worse things than a putty-colored extension cord (they make them in such nice colors now!) crossing a patio. Mine crosses my patio, 75'worth. The birds are worth it, trust me here.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Back to Top]