Background Switcher (Hidden)

Happy Gotcha Day 2022, Curtis Loew! Three Years Later

Saturday, February 19, 2022

 I know you don't care when your birthday falls. You're a dog. You don't even know what a birthday is. And I don't know when your birthday might be, so I've picked the day I brought you home. You looked like a little goblin with your black mask and missing teef. You made me laugh and cry all the two hours' drive home at the wonder and enormity of that day.


 Most of what we do for our dogs, we do for ourselves. The fancy foods with bison, salmon and venison; the high-class leashes and harnesses--that's all for us. What a dog wants is sun on his flanks, fragrant straw beneath him,


a rabbit or squirrel to light out after, and the freedom to do that. What a dog wants is a hug, a kind word, his kibble on time, a soft warm place to sleep.

Curtis, you've got that. All that, and acres to cover, your voice bawling like a hoarse bell through the trees.

You're out coursing the woods right now, as I write. It's freezing and dark and spitting snow, but you don't mind. You're free. I have to be OK with that, and I am, because you are who you are, and you get to be who you are meant to be. How many dogs can claim that?


You came to us three years ago today, and my eyes well with tears to think how very much we all needed you, right then, when the world was crumbling around us. You took a look at the situation, and went where you were needed most. There you stayed. You didn't even know us, but you knew right off the bat you had a lot of work to do.


I watched you in astonishment as you put your soul-soothing magic on everyone.

You're such a good guy, such a simple, hearty soul. Life is simpler now than it was in spring 2019, and we have a clear pact. You do your dog things, and I keep myself busy doing my human things, and try not worry too much about what your dog things are and where they take you. 

But when you're gone for too many hours, and you are gone for hours at a time...

that's when I come after you, reminding you with the tiniest electronic ping that I am here, and worrying. And then you come boiling up out of the woods, thorns bristling all over your skin, often as not bleeding where the briars have ripped your velvet ears.

I throw my arms around you, kiss you, tell you I've missed you, and we walk home. I clean your wounds and give you your dinner and tuck you in, and the next day we do it all over again, the good bye and the waiting and sometimes the worrying.

In return for that, you are my everything, my strength in times of weakness, a warm woodsy scent filling my senses, reminding me that everything will be all right, because you are Curtis and you are here with me. For me.



You can be a warm puppy, dribbled across the blankets


or a commanding and noble presence with a deep bass bark--you have many moods. But you are unfailingly kind and good to me.


The first time I saw your picture I wanted you in my life. I'll never forget the feeling that shot through me when I saw you. I knew Kelly had found my next dog, without my looking or asking or even knowing it had happened. And the wild thing is that Kelly knew, too. No communication had passed between us, but you were calling to me. I heard you all the way from Oregon. I flew home to get you.


"Is he already someone's darling?" I asked.

Not yet, he wasn't. 


                                          






14 comments:

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY...all round. Julie--you got Curtis. Curtis--you got Julie. And all of us got to read about and see and cheer on this most marvelous of friendships in the world!

This is beautiful and I am teary-eyed. This pairing is so well-deserved and so perfect for both of you.

So happy that you have Curtis and he has you. i know all about the "meant for each other" feeling because I go there every day with our two cats. They are perfectly suited to us and fill our days with joy. Praying for many more years for you and Curtis to roam the woods together drinking in the beauty and reveling in one another's company. Thanks so much for sharing him with us!

Those of us who lived through the horror of those days with your family will always remember the profound miracle and blessing of Curtis' arrival.

Happy Gotcha Day to you and Curtis. You got him and he got you. A beautiful pairing of sweet hearts. Love these photos, Julie.

I remember when you first posted about him. My heart was breaking for you and your family, and there was this brindled ray of sun who seemed destined to be a salve in doggo form.

Happy Gotcha Day, Curtis and Julie! What a blessing he's been to you, and vice versa. Much love to you both from a total stranger.

Happy Gotcha Day, Curtis and Julie. That dog never fails to put a smile on my face. His magic works long distance.

Angels everywhere. If we were smart we would just be laughing our heads off at how the Universe anticipates our every heart pull. For better or worse. Dogs, man. Lucky us.

OH Julie, what a beautiful tribute to this boy. That picture of him and Bill.....

It's really something when the planets align like they did to bring you two together.

Give Curtis a hug for me! Such a sweet pup!

I found a song you and Curtis might enjoy. It is found on a song writers collaboration website. https://fawm.org/fawmers/apauls/ It's #10 on the list. Title: Pinto's song.

I did enjoy that! Curtis slept through it. I love the idea of writing a song from a dog's POV. Thank you!

JZ and CL

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Back to Top]