Background Switcher (Hidden)

North Dakota, 2012. Do It!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

By now you may have discerned that this is a stealth attack on your personal inertia. Maybe you've been saying, "I've got to get out to that Potholes and Prairies Birding Festival one of these years." Maybe you've been saying that for

A DECADE.

Which is how many years Bill and I have been working this festival. So I am here to tell  you that it is time to stop talking about it and DO IT.

Here are some reasons why.


 Give me land, lots of land with the starry skies above...don't fence me in.

Let me ride through the wide open spaces that I love. Don't fence me in.


Give me rails. Sora, Virginia and maybe a yellow. Hey, it could happen. Bill of the Birds tries his hardest. And Liam's mighty good at spotting those little slippers-through-the-reeds.


Give me the easy companionship of other winter-weary souls who just want to soak up some sun and the burbling song of western meadowlarks.


Give me blue-eyed grass


and Brewer's blackbird eggs, shining olives in a grassy martini.


Give me duck hatch, and blue-winged teal springing from every roadside ditch.


I have more reasons. 

7 comments:

Could have sat on that hillside all day long.

Looks like a great way to spend a day. I do hope picnics are encouraged

I love that your kids are cool coming along with you. Sharing the love for the outdoors and its habitants and habitats is GREAT!

bet you all were pretty Sora about not seeing any rails...

Waiting anxiously for the burbling of the meadowlarks here in the midst of a winter storm warning here in SD.

Ohhhh thank you for bringing back memories! I'm so glad I was able to help out with that this year. I was so surprised and excited to see that many of the folks were from Ohio and nearby states. Truly unforgettable!

Love "shining olives in a grassy martini"! Intoxicating!

Posted by Amy Girten March 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM
[Back to Top]