Background Switcher (Hidden)

Asian One-Horned Rhinos

Thursday, February 16, 2012


This is not a southern white rhino. This is an Asian one-horned rhino. While they look superficially similar, in a captive situation like this the difference in their personalities and general way of going about things is marked. And it's all about the mouth.


Ack! Asian one-horned rhinos are very oral. They want to meet you, but they also want to taste you.

Here is a southern white rhino's square lip. I will note that it is a very demure and unobnoxious lip.


And here is the eerily prehensile upper lip of an Asian one-horned rhino, noobling about Ms. West's persona.


There is quite a bit of drool involved with Asian rhinoceri.


One goes about loving them somewhat gingerly.


What are you afraid of? 

I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to taste you. Or, better, I would like you to drop an apple in my maw. Or a pear. Something. Just give me something to chew on.


Liam kept his distance!


Savannah thought they all smelled.



Bill of the Birds was charmed.


How can we get that bird man to come closer?



More more more said the Science Chimp.

photos by Tricia West

 By the time we were done my parka was covered in Asian rhino slobber.


and we all reeked of rhino, and that made us very, very happy.


8 comments:

You and yours do go some awesome places.

Ok, how the heck do you do it? I'm sitting here envying rhino slobber on your parka and smelling like a rhino! I love all the fun you have and the chance to learn about and appreciate nature and all it's critters.

Just saw the most recent Nat'l G which has a fascinating article about rhino poaching and conservation in it - it was timely in reference to your posts! Check it out.

Love, Love , Love that you can visit these animals alive and well...and to be so close had to be amazing, smell and all.

Kathy in Delray Beach.

Rhinos in Ohio! I love it. Add this to the list of places to visit. I was going to leave a comment on how much I loved the swan photos but then I saw the baby rhino photos and it was all over for me!

Must. Have. Rhino Kiss. Thank heavens for my French Bulldog!

Woulda made me happy too!! This settles it. I'm gonna be your tag-a-long.

Posted by Anonymous August 16, 2015 at 1:13 AM
[Back to Top]