Background Switcher (Hidden)

A Boston Terrier Birthday

Monday, December 15, 2008

We're celebrating Chet Baker's fourth birthday with a retrospective of his puppehhood. When Jane Streett, Chet's breeder, sent us this snapshot, we swooned for hours. Days. Weeks. Put him on a bun and serve him up.You see, I formed such an instant bond with Jane at Pups Will Travel in our first phone conversation that we bought our doggeh online, nay, in utero!! and didn't meet him in person for nine weeks. I liked Jane's philosophy. She breeds for temperament and sound conformation, working overtime to keep her line free of genetic defects and her puppies full of good humor and intelligence. She liked mine, especially the parts about the 80-acre nature sanctuary and the hikes in the woods and the two sweet kids and my working at home. Not to mention the fact that Bill had been bugging me to get a dog for 13 years, and I had finally decided I was ready. Notice in this picture how Liam is holding his hands. The Bacon, like most puppies, was a tad on the chewy-nippy side to start with. He tried but ultimately failed to attain a pack rank right below Phoebe but above Liam. Nope, you're bottom rung, buddy. But you'll like bottom rung.

I tried like crazy to hide my online machinations from Phoebe, but she was too smart for me, and busted me six days before Chet was even born. She started giving me even more spontaneous hugs than usual, and showed just a little too much interest in a Boston terrier in a dog show on TV ("Mommy, I really LIKE those dogs!" This, from a kid who'd been buggin' me for a golden retriever for two years...) and I got suspicious that she had been reading my email. Sure enough. I walked into the studio one day and caught her pirouetting around, eyes closed, whispering, "I'm getting a PUPPY!!!" I had wanted to surprise the kids at Christmas with a photo of him, wrapped up in a box under the tree, but instead we got to anticipate Chet's birth together, which was way more fun.

Phoebe at 8, the old soul. Would you buy this sweet girl a puppy? Yeah, me too.

Finally, on December 12, 2004, we got the email we'd been waiting for. Chili Bean had delivered her first litter, just two babies. And we had second pick. We waited anxiously to hear which puppy went to the family with first pick. But the kids had already decided that the little black puppy with one white glove was the one they wanted. Fingers were crossed...
photo by Jane Streett

Sometimes things work out. We got the one with the black neck. Kind of looks like his mammy, don't he? As you can see, Chet was a home-bred dog, born not in a kennel or a manger, but in Jane's home. He was therefore spoiled rotten from Hour One. Here he is not quite a month old, January 5, 2005.Photo by Jane Streett. I requested a picture of Chet's belly meat and she came through. Had to make sure he had a tasty brisket. It was killing us to wait until he was weaned and ready in mid-February! The kids and I drove over to eastern PA and picked him up on the morning of February 17, 2005. I can't remember any drive to the East Coast before or since that went that fast. We flew on wings of anticipation.

Chet on Day One at Indigo Hill, wearing his tube sock sweater. Superdog! My musical hub Bill of the Birds named him within a few minutes of seeing his first picture. "I've always wanted to name a dog Chet Baker," he said, and that was that.I can't resist another tube sock shot. Even though it's more like a sausage casing...I have to say he was a rather appealing puppy. Just the thing for a 46-year-old mother of two with a relapse of of chronic baby fever. A puppeh who looks like a babeh ought to do it.Yep, that babydog pushes every one of my buttons. And yes, I stayed home with him, trying to absorb every molecule of his cuteness, and I'm still here. Stayed home for my kids, stayed home for the dog, did it for me, too.

And now that puppy, four years later, is asleep on my coat in the chair right next to me as I write. And I do not know what I would do without him. I run my hand over his satiny back and he gives a rattling dog sigh of contentment, and I think about this animal that we have bred to want nothing more than to keep our company. And I think about the things that humans have developed: The Sistine Chapel ceiling fresco, the Chunnel, Swarovski EL binoculars, trigeneric orchid hybrids, creme brulee and the Boston terrier, to name just a few. They are surely among our finest works.
Thank you, Jane.

12 comments:

Very very very cute. We have a Boston Terrier in this household too and He, Harley, usually brings a smile to everyone's face daily. Cute Baby photos.

Wow--Chet Baker right up there (yes, pun intended) with the Sistine Chapel. That's some company for a pup.
But a great pup deserves no less.
Thanks for a cheery tale on a grey Monday in south central PA.

I love the daily serving of Bacon. That puppy belly is so yummy I can hardly stand it. I need a puppy snuggle!

Boston Terrier in the White House?

I've been watching the Shiba Inu puppy cam for weeks, so it's nice to get a Chet fix! (Wait, is that like Chex Mix? No, Chet fix is waaaay tastier!) Happy birthday Bacon, you tasty little puppeh. I kissed you through the computer monitor.

Happy birthday, Chet Baker! Lucky you: ALL your puppehs are most fine!

Awww... Happy belated birthday, Chet Baker. What an adorable little puppy you were! And what a handsome fellow you've grown up to be!

Happy b-day to the Baconator!
So Julie, I got a new puppy last night, a corgi, and she's TINY and I was telling people I thought I could fashion a coat for her out of a tube sock because she's so tiny that even the xs coats are too big. Everyone looked at me like I was nuts! Then I look at your blog and voila! There it is in action! Awesome.

That first photo is killing me with cute!! Chet, you're such an adorable guy!

Dogs are one of life's great things. We just acquired a new puppy in September -- mostly spaniel and about Chet's size. At my age, I need a lapdog.

Sweet, sweet story! I have yet to post our adventure in getting our Rhodesian Ridgeback...this is wonderful inspiration!

Maroe

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Back to Top]