Background Switcher (Hidden)

It's an Honor to Be Here

Sunday, December 17, 2023

 Last summer, I was invited to submit pieces for consideration for a show of natural history art by Ohioans
to be held at the Decorative Arts Center of Ohio in Lancaster. Although I very rarely show my work any more, I was more than happy to get together some favorites, old and new, to submit. To my surprise, all five were selected for the show by curators Maria Burke and Madeline Beaumier. Maria herself is a sculptor and exhibit preparer, and the artistry both curators brought to the exhibit was evident everywhere.


photo by Jessica Vaughan

I think it only sank in on me what an honor it was to be there when I walked in at the opening September 29 and saw the company my bird paintings were keeping. Such a big, beautiful, huge-hearted show! 

Artists were coming at natural history subjects from all directions and media: photography, painting and sculpture; interpretive and photorealistic. 


                                                 photo giclee of OSU specimens by Ardine Nelson



I met my friend and soon-to-be BWD cover artist Ann Geise, and was delighted to find our works displayed together. Two of Ann's lepidopteran works  hang above my white-breasted nuthatch developmental painting, which has neither been shown nor published before.


BWD Magazine Editor Jessica Vaughan and I perused the exhibit together. What a treat to see such talent coming our of our beloved home state!


The Decorative Arts Center of Ohio is a beautiful destination nestled in Lancaster's historic district.
You won't want to miss this beautifully curated and conceived show of Ohio artists, each interpreting nature in their own way. 


To top it off, DACO engaged John Luchin of Classic Interactions, Inc. to create a video of each artist's personal statement and vision. We artists sent him our images, videos and recorded narrative tracts, and John produced and tied them all together beautifully. The videos can be accessed on iPads stationed in each room of the show. Here's mine:


Here's what you need to know, but you'll have to get there before December ends! Show closes Dec. 31.



As I drove home from the opening, I felt very lucky to have been included in this review of some of Ohio's finest natural history artists. 


A full moon rose over Main Street as I drove home, feeling honored and thankful.




              

0 comments:

[Back to Top]