Background Switcher (Hidden)

Spring's Busting Out

Monday, April 16, 2012

It's been a week and I haven't posted. Nobody's filed suit. Spring's like that. Everything happens at once and it's all just too beautiful for me to take in. But I try, I try.


 The heirloom lilac, a lilac of truly titanic proportions, bursts into bloom alongside our 42' tall birding tower. She's going for 20', and Phoebe predicts we will one day pick blossoms by leaning over from the towertop.


A quiet little shot that turned out to be one of my favorites. I think it's the beautiful laundry floating behind, and that first petal falling that I love. This tulip came in an Easter arrangement from our church altar, and it just gets bigger and more beautiful every year. How often does that happen with tulips? Usually the chipmunks eat them or they just dwindle away. This one's a survivor.


There is a barn on the corner of our road that bursts into bloom each spring.


Wisteria, the thug of thugs in the plant world, has one week where it's worth tolerating, and oh, what a week it was.


I shot this barn in every light regime. There are many more photos, but these are just a few.


In the yard, the forsythia gives up its gold, shining all over my girl.

 

And then I caught her with messy hair and no mascara, the way I love her best.


She also shines on the field, jumping much farther than I would think any daughter of mine could, but then she got long stems from her daddy.


Another phoebe made the mistake of flying into the living room while prospecting for a home. He never came back. Oh, please, come back. We had to catch you to get you out, as you were panicking in the high clerestories.


No. I will nest somewhere without giant naked primates who hold me too close to their big mouths.

More springy things in my next post. I'm sorry they're not better organized. Neither is springtime, and neither am I these days.  



3 comments:

Loved seeing the spring you are having. I missed the Sunday post, so went to look just in case you had a tidbit to share.

So I will share back, in case you have time to read comments. I had a Cape May Warbler in the yard yesterday, and the Painted Buntings are singing again this morning, so I know they will soon be gone.

Hubby likes to play 'what did I see?' This week we had 'orange and black bird'=American Redstart and 'bird with triangle wings and short tail'-I mis-guessed that he was seeing starlings. Turns out he was seeing a flock of Cedar Waxwings that has been visiting.

Loved seeing those signs of northern spring that I so love- Tulips, lilacs, forsythia- Thanks!

Kathy in Delray Beach

Posted by Anonymous April 17, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Julie, here's my Note to Friends and Family: I'm in the woods sopping up every moment I can with Shooting Stars, tree frogs, FOS this and that. I'm truly sorry about the deadlines I'm missing and things I'm forgetting. But don't worry, I'll be back soon - spring madness is an ephemeral state of mind. (I don't mention warblers are on the way...)

No one filed suit, but we did check every day to see if there was a new post...no guilt trip, but know you are missed. If you are willing to give advice, a bird/creature friendly small flowering tree that can tolerate being between larger maples...
Love your work....gave Letters to Eden to a friend and now she is hooked.

Thanks

[Back to Top]