Background Switcher (Hidden)

Welcome to My World

Sunday, August 7, 2011


Every time I go out running, and that is every morning

I wish I could bring you along. But you are usually sleeping, or at least not in the mood to stretch yourself out and then get very sweaty. 

You would think I'd tire of this road, running it every day, but the fact is that watching it change its clothes and its soundtrack each day fascinates me endlessly.

There are always surprises. Sometimes it's the deep violet blue of the morning's first chicory.

 
Sometimes it's pink chicory. I know of five plants on this curve that are pink. I don't know how common that is, but it feels singular to me.

There's one intergrade that is a bewitching periwinkle bluepink.

Sometimes it's an eastern tailed blue mimicking a flying bit of chicory. I love ETBL's. They are a most friendly and confiding butterbug. You can see the tail on his left hind wing.

Sometimes it's a hayfield, suddenly cut, with meadowlarks circling overhead not knowing what in the world they should do. (They wound up leaving the next day, but that's OK, because I had seen their babies fledge weeks earlier). If there's one thing meadowlarks know about, it's haying.

 Sometimes it's an unexpected curve in a treeline that reminds me of England.

 Or black-eyed Susans against a misty tree scrim.


And always at my side Chet Baker, sweet companion of the morning and my life. In him I have a dogmometer. I can tell how hot it is by whether he's in front of me, beside me or yards behind. Over about 82 degrees and I'm liable to have to wait for the boy. Under 80 and he waits for me.

 We always stop and think at the cemetery. We breathe and sweat and are glad to be alive and not having a red cedar and pizen ivy growing up through our rib cages.


22 comments:

I could hear your voice speaking these words this morning.
Nice.

Hi! I'm new to your blog, but that was a very lovely post. The pictures were pleasing and your words were charming. Makes me wish I was there, although I'd be running yards behind you, I'm afraid! :)

-Mysterious M
www.magslifetoday.blogspot.com

If only we could all see the beautiful details in the world as you do, we would take better care of it.

Amen Mojo Man. Don't you wish we could pipe Julie's sensibility into people's homes? Go Big Sister!

How very nice to share the morning.xom.

Posted by Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Julie; love, love, *love* this. You've succeeded at making me quite homesick this morning! Wiping a tear as I type. Thanks for sharing.

I closed my eyes and ran with you...thanks..already 100 here in OK!!

What a calm soothing way to begin this rainy Sunday. Thanks.

thanks for sharing the feeling of another ecosystem that I love and am not in at this point in my life.

I love reading your posts, this is so relaxing I can imagine being there myself sometimes...

thanks for the great blog!

Wonderful to take that run with you, Julie. You have a very beautiful road to run.

Posted by Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I love the blue chicory, but I've never seen pink!

with all these view? I wouldn't be bored to run all my life either ;)

I like this one a lot. Or, as my fingers on the loose said, I like this a log. Maybe that's more creative.

Congrats on Blog of Note! The pictures are so pretty!

I'm actually starting out with a new blog. If you could follow it, that would be awesome! Thanks!

-Sara
thefakelaugh.blogspot.com

Dear Julie Zickefoose

Very nice blog, awesome writing, super photos, Please keep writing.

Most eligible for Blogs of Note

Best wishes from

Biz and Legis

Online Legal Service Providers Thanks for all of the posts of your blog

I used to think I was the only one who saw the world in simple details but I'm glad to see that isn't the case, thank you for sharing!!

Nice post, and relaxing images. Richard from Amish Stories.

Very cool post!!

I'd stop at the cemetery too...great way to stop and appreciate the beauty around you. Lovely reading!

But if I had to be dead I'd go for the red cedar and poison ivy growing 'round me.

I run like hell through cemetaries and I don't glance back behind me.

Julie, thanks for your description of your morning run, and especially the chicory.used to live near Enon,Ohio,but am now in south Texas. there's a plant here similar to chicory,but is sort of a pinky lavender. It is called skeleton weed Lygodesmia Texann. Linda own

Posted by Anonymous June 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM
[Back to Top]