Background Switcher (Hidden)

Facing the Stone Walls: Greenhouse Construction Continues

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

October 7 was a dreary, cold day, made considerably brighter by the arrival of Jeff Cline, who came to apply the manufactured stone facing I'd chosen for the greenhouse foundation walls. 


At first I had thought I'd have it only on the outside, but I quickly realized, living with the structure for a month, that the part I'd see most was the inside, so it was important to me to put beautiful stone there, too. In the photo above you can see the huge difference it makes, comparing the raw cinder block of the inside with the stone-faced outside.

He got most of it done on a Saturday of work, starting around noon. Amazing! This is why we hire professionals.


The stone is manufactured in Amish country Ohio. There are several companies that do it. This is Weatherledge Tan and it's made by Prestige. I chose it because it was pretty close to the natural riverstone that makes up the chimney on the house. I also liked its light color and the occasional orange and red stones in the mix. We're all about warm colors here.


Dorito break! 


He's leaving blank the area around where the big glass double doors will go. He won't finish up until the glass is installed, because he doesn't want to interfere with the installation. I caught a video of Jeff putting the last couple of stones in the south outer wall.  I love to think how his brain works, getting the mix of stone sizes and shapes just organically right. He must have jumped up a hundred times to back up and look at it overall, like the artist he is. I do that in the studio all the time! 


Here's a glam shot of the walls. Now, the buff-colored grout (Colonial Buff) isn't in yet. He keeps telling me how awesome it's going to look with the colored grout. I believe it, because it looks pretty awesome right now! 


And here comes the grout!


Colored grout gives it a pulled-together, finished look


which I particularly appreciate on the inner walls


which are the ones I'll see most often as I appreciate my new living space with my planties (as Bill called them) all around me.


Jeff has  left the area around the double glass doors unfaced so as not to interfere with their installation. He'll come back and finish it all off when the glass has been installed.
What a beautiful job he's done. If you need masonry work in the Marietta, Ohio area, 
Jeff Cline is your guy.

All this whets my appetite for the glass installation, the basic rudiments of which began TODAY, October 24! And the thought of  being able to install my plants in it at last, once the two gas space heaters are installed, is the most delicious of prospects. It's been such a long and sometimes weary road, but we're finally getting there. I'm kinda waiting for the next person who innocently exclaims, "You're so LUCKY to have a greenhouse!"

 And I might just sing softly, 

What's LUCK got to do, got to do with it?


0 comments:

[Back to Top]