Background Switcher (Hidden)

Curtis is a Man's Dog

Friday, January 6, 2023



You'll have to pardon me. I'm only just emerging from almost three weeks of holiday, um, activities, most of which centered around procuring, preparing and eating massive, fabulous meals. Phoebe and Oscar arrived December 19 and left the morning of January 5. As they were getting into the car I turned to my daughter with arms out, saying, "Nineteen straight days of..." 
and before I could get the word "bliss" out of my mouth, Phoebe chirped, "Parasitism!" and I 
about busted a gut. 
I spent a lot of time laughing when the kids were home. 

 We had a few outdoor adventures but the weather was mostly pretty lousy, so we had many more indoor ones. It was kind of like running a little diner called Mom's Kitchen, open 24-7, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. 
 But it was hardly parasitism. They cooked several meals and did some cleaning; Phoebe took down the Christmas tree this morning before they left. Oscar carried it out and vacuumed up the needles...it was so sweet. And I was so grateful. Much as I like getting it out of my space, I hate taking down the Christmas tree. These kids spoil me. And I spoil them right back.

One of my more inspired Christmas gift purchases was fluffy popcorn socks for all of us. You know, socks to wear while you're eating popcorn. I found them at Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, Ohio.
 
Phoebe, Oscar, Curtis and I had a movie night on January 4.  We missed our Liam terribly, but he was off to PA to see his girlfriend Hailey. 


photo by Phoebe Thompson

A revelation from this three-week idyll with all of us under the same roof was that our beloved Curtis Loew seems to prefer men to women. This is something I had suspected, by the way he immediately glommed onto Bill when I picked him out at Columbus Humane Association's Animal Shelter in February 2019. 
At the time I thought he was going where he was most needed, and being a sensitive gent, he certainly was. But I've been watching him since, and between the three of us, he seeks Liam out more than would be expected if his choices were random. If he's going to sleep with anyone, it's Liam.

And the fuss he made over Oscar when the kids arrived for Christmas on December 19 was suspicious.

Here's Curtis in Phoebe's arms.


You'll note his tail is not blurred.


There's some side-eye going on.
And here, he just floats away. Nope, this isn't happening, she's not holding me like this.
I'm...sailing...away...


Phoebe has noticed that if she sits down on the couch, Curtis will get up and leave. I mean, what the heck?? And I've noticed the same thing. You'd think that the person who takes him out every morning for his poop hike, who serves his meals, who saves him dainties, who brushes him daily, who sprang him from the shelter, might rank a bit higher, but...

Now, when Oscar sits down, Curtis will come over and use Oscar as a pillow. Tell me, what is fair about that? Not only that, but Curtis shoots us baleful looks as he snuggles with Oscar. 
Fine.



Phoebe suggests that Curtis prefers men, and Oscar says no, it's just me he prefers. Haha!!



This is my absolute favorite clip from our movie night, watching Notting Hill with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, with a cameo by Alec Baldwin. Such a perfect moment, such a funny movie! I had never seen it, which tells you something about my cultural environment. Egads. It's a classic. Shila suggested it. Brilliant!


Oscar has every right to look smug here, with the undivided love and attention of the best little cur in the world. 


And me, I'll get over it. It's just us two tonight. Curtis Loew, like it or not, you're stuck with me, son.

 

1 comments:

I'll be laughing about "parasitism" for a while. Sounds like she inherited her parent's dangerously quick wits. Dogs often suffer from alpha male philia syndrome. Brown nosing is adaptive in canines.

[Back to Top]