Background Switcher (Hidden)

My Horny Valentine

Thursday, February 19, 2015

I apologize for the title of this post. It is not in keeping with my always-ladylike mien, but I couldn't resist. At this point I'll do about anything to get people to click on a blog link. And it will all make sense as you read on.

February 14, 2015. The cold front currently making Ohio as cold as a welldigger's ass was coming. I could feel it winding up to something awful. Which turned out to be temperatures dipping near zero. But this Valentine's morning, it was a balmy 26, and I decided to get me and Chet out for a long run/walk/ramble/expotition on my new favorite road.


Yes. That is a barn with a hex sign, and a very old log cabin down in the holler. Riches.
The road is frankly terrible if you're in a car, but OK if you're in running shoes or paws.

We bundled up; Chet in double sweaters and me in more clothes than I should have worn. 
This is what Chet looks like in double sweaters. He feels very hangdog until we get outside.


 The temperature slowly rose to 38 on the ridge of warm air before the cold front, and just as quickly plummeted as the wind picked up. I dehisced, then reapplied layers. I needed all those clothes again by the end of the outing.

Chet was just as glad to have two sweaters on, too. Besides, the back scratching he gets when I peel them off him is so divine. A tiny film of Chet running:

Do not miss the tip of the Tennessee turd-tail in Photo 3.

We had a wonderful run. We were nearing the car and it was still bearable outside. I didn't want to go home yet. Something urged me to take a tiny deer trail off the road, that I could see led through tall sumac to a mowed path through an old field thick with goldenrod and more sumac. It looked delicious down there.

I walked right over it the first time, going out.


And coming back, Chet stopped briefly to sniff it, and because I always check out what Chet checks out, it materialized for me, too.


See it yet?


Ah. This is fresh. Before the last snow, but not long before. No mouse or vole has found it. It is perfect.

I would very much like to have this for my own, but I am already doubting you will relenquish it.


You doubt correctly, Chet Baker. This is my horny Valentine.






Bless the unseen hand

That guides me off the dirt road

to the cast antler.

It's something to hold

This perfect spire of cold bone

Not one soul has touched.


This find has sparked a kind of fever in me for searching for sheds, as people familiar with the quest call them. Night before last I was out at dusk, looking in a deer yard for sheds. I need to wait until the snow has melted. I'll never find a white antler under snow. 

10 comments:

This is why I always make an effort to follow my whims and impulses: they inevitably lead to something I am either looking for, or something that I didn't even know I wanted until I find it. I think that these impulses are one's connection to The Source, and if we learn to follow them, one will always find something to delight one.

Such a find makes all the bundling up and cold worth it!

Perfect title, perfect outing, perfect find, perfect blog post.

Posted by Gail Spratley February 19, 2015 at 6:54 AM

A jolly good expotition indeed!

The title definitely caught my attention! I ditto Gail Spratley's comment.

Eye grabbing title! I like the feeling when I'm led to arrowheads and that must be how you feel about sheds.

Posted by Deb Wingert February 19, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Mimi Manderly, your use of the phrase "The Source," and the capital letters, gave me a delicious arm-hair raise. Thank you. Yep, something's going on here...whether it be arrowheads or antlers, it doesn't feel much like an accident when they present themselves. Maybe that's why hunting them is so addictive.

Wonderful find and I love your poem. Exciting find even if not a new shed, but this is and an honor - a reward if you will granted you from your beloved natural world !!!
I find it almost always pays to follow that tug, that says "Come this way ! Come this way !"
Darlene

I feed deer daily. Tell them at least could do is grant me an antler!! Have found few around water pan & my dogs have brought in a few. Interesting to see where critters have tasted them.

my dog loves antlers.... he wears a
a sweater and a cost....very toasty. (Maybe you should have tossed in some "deer/dear" puns after that title...)

[Back to Top]