Background Switcher (Hidden)

Drusilla Awake!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013


We're back with Zick and Drusilla, and the little bat is fully awake now. She's been warming up for about 5 hours and is ready to eat. It all goes pretty smoothly for awhile. Dru tends to eat well, but she gets more and more wound up the more she eats. By about the eighth mealworm she's out for blood. I dunno. Maybe she's one of Them. I'll have to check to see if she sparkles in sunlight.



This video is noteworthy on several counts, not least because we have captured Chet Baker wagging his tail. This is something that doesn't happen often or well, thanks to the fact that his tail is all bent out of shape (called a screw tail, and natural to the breed) and doubly so since I fell down the stairs while carrying him under my arm on Columbus Day. It wagged better before that. Hey, so did I.

We're all better now. If he lost some waggability, he didn't have that much to lose. 

Chet has been corresponding recently with a Bugg (Boston Terrier x Pug) named Bugsy. Apparently, one of the reasons to cross these two fine breeds is to get something that resembles a Boston terrier, but has a tail. Here's Bugsy's:


Bugsy's person, Miss Kim, has been quite free over the years with the DONATE button on the right sidebar of the blog. Chet wrote her a thank-you letter recently, prompting a response from Bugsy, a spirited correspondence between the two dogs, and these photos followed. I have to say that Bugsy is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen, and if this is what you get when you cross a pug with a Boston terrier, well, cross away.


I offer these photos in thanks to the generosity of Miss Kim, and as an apt antidote to Drusilla's pure evil.

Bugsy. You adorable thing you. The Un-Drusilla.

8 comments:

Unfortunately, when I click on the video, a message comes on "This video is private", so I cannot view it. Are you teasing us, Julie, with tales of terrifying vampire bats and wagging tails, then withholding the evidence? Tsk! ;)

Thank you, Mimi, for alerting me to the fact that I had not changed the video setting to Public! Duh! While it's nice to keep it under wraps before the blogpost goes up, it's not so nice to forget to make it public. Here you go!

Bugsy is beside himself with glee at finding his photos and a story about him woven into a story about a Dreadful Big Brown Bat. He says to tell Chet Baker that he does not like that bat a bit either. His mether, on the other hand, thinks the bat is very cool. And is delighted with Chet Baker's mether's handling of her.

Very entertaining--and by circumstance, I had Animal Planet on in the background and they were doing a segment of flying foxes--yowza, a bat with a 5 foot wingspan.

Love hearing your "videographer's" voice in the background commanding "hold it." I'm thinking not much love in your household for Drusilla. Excepting you, of course.

Excellent movie shizz, indeed. Phoebe is much braver than I. I think I would need a hazmat suit to be in the same room as a bat!!

"Hold Her!" "I'm Leaving!" Love it. Don't blame Phoebe one bit.

So glad I watched to the sweet end. Yes, phoebe, you are getting good at this!

Very entertaining--and by circumstance, I had Animal Planet on in the background and they were doing a segment of flying foxes--yowza, a bat with a 5 foot wingspan.

[Back to Top]