Background Switcher (Hidden)

Prairie Dogs and Mule Deer

Thursday, September 2, 2010


One of our favorite spots at Theodore Roosevelt National Park: a place called Buck Hill. It's hard to beat the view from the top.
We feel compelled to photograph each other at the modest summit (There really aren't any mountains in North Dakota).

The kids love to shelter under a ledge and pretend they're hunter/gatherers, looking for dinner, building a fire, flensing skins, perhaps.

Dinner is everywhere--mule deer are plentiful.

It's a great place for wildlife photography. You're largely ignored, and the tableaux are stunning.


The biggest bull bison are often solitary, like this one. Imagine yourself on that winding road, passing from vision to vision. That's TRNP, at dusk in June.

A spotted towhee rasps out its song against the badland backdrop.

We round a corner to find a mother prairie dog and her three exclamation point babies!!!

They wondered why this woman was groaning...

never realizing that they and their tiny hands might be the cause

Three perfect little sod poodles in the slanting light of an endless June evening.

6 comments:

Oh! wonderful, beautiful place! I am dying to go to the Badlands. Those prairie dog pups are too darn cute--just wanna pick one up and cuddle it!

Ahhh... Bison, Deer, Prairie Dogs. Take me away, just me and my camera. For a week, thank you.

Oh my gawd...it's like I get to be there with you! What incredible beauty. And CUTEness! (the baby prairie pups and your kids). Takes me back to trips with my grandparents through the park...40 years ago, of course, but still fresh in my memory. Thanks.

What fabulous photojournalism. As Arnie said, "I'll be back!"

Nice to travel along with you in North Dakota, haven't been there in years and now I'm convinced I should return!

Bill:www.wildramblings.com

Baby Prairie Dogs! Impossibly cute! I definitely need to travel farther west in North Dakota than Carrington! ;-)

[Back to Top]